Saturday, March 5, 2011

Video Void: Portishead - "Only You" [Dir. Chris Cunningham]



If I were to make a list of the music video directors I would most like to work with, Chris Cunningham would definitely rank highly. Granted, his style probably wouldn't mesh too well with my more upbeat, lyric-heavy alt-country-folk-rock band, but I know for certain he would be a good match for my other, darker pursuits.

Ah, the dreams we dream...

Cunningham has made some great videos over the years. In fact, this probably isn't even my favourite clip of his. Which isn't to say that I don't think it's stunning, I do, only that he has several videos of equal or greater genius. Still, the underwater effect employed here is such an incredible idea, and really compliments the haunted nature of Portishead's sound. Apparently he had Beth Gibbons sing the song in a water tank, slowed the whole thing down, and then digitally inserted the shots into a darkened alley, adding a surreal and sinister overtone to an already suffocating clip.

Plus: creepy dancing boy.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment